Importance of Testosterone
Before we dive into the importance of testosterone, let’s take a look at what testosterone is. Testosterone is a male sex hormone produced by the testes that play a variety of roles in the body. Regulates bone mass, strength and mass, fat distribution, libido, and red blood cell production. The various functions and roles demonstrate the importance of testosterone in the body.
The Role Of Testosterone In Men
- Growth and development of the reproductive system
- Voice deepens during puberty
- Stimulates hair growth on the face, under the armpits and around the genitals, on the
- arms, legs, and chest.
- Sperm production
- burn fat
- maintain a normal mood
Testosterone, in a small amount, is converted to estradiol, a form of estrogen which helps in the maturation of the sperm and maintenance of a healthy libido. Men produce less testosterone as they age, and so the production of estradiol becomes very less. In a male, testosterone level increases during puberty reach peak level during the late teenage and then goes down. After age 30 or so, a man’s testosterone levels decrease slightly every year.
Testosterone is present in lower amounts in women. It affects menstruation, fertility, and sexual performance, demonstrating the importance of testosterone in women.
Problems Associated with Low Testosterone Level in Male
- Decreased muscle size, strength, and leg press strength
- Decreased bone density increases the risk of fractures
- Whole-body hair loss
- Increased body fat
- Low libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Breast augmentation
- Low sperm count
- Poor concentration and depression
Problems Associated with High Testosterone Level in Male
- Increased risk of heart muscle damage and cardiovascular disease
- An enlarged prostate due to difficulty urinating
- liver disease
- High blood pressure
- increase bad cholesterol
- The retention of fluid in the body causes swelling of the legs and feet.
- weight gain due to increased appetite
- increased risk of blood clots
- mood swings
- increase in muscle mass
The side effects of low and high testosterone levels demonstrate the importance of balanced testosterone levels in the body.
Testosterone levels can be balanced by giving men low levels of hormone therapy. Doctors recommend certain medications, dietary changes, and exercise programs to maintain testosterone levels.
If you suspect a low or high testosterone level in your body, undergo an evaluation by getting your testosterone test done.