Cancer grows on its own will to suppress your will, conquer cancer, gather your willpower.
Unite, Incite and Fight- Cancer!
Every year, November 7th is dedicated to National cancer awareness day so as to shed some light on the Evil genius of Cancer!
Cancer- The evil genius!
All of us get scared by the word cancer, don’t we? What exactly is cancer? In simple terms, it can be explained as the uncontrolled growth and division of our body cells, which can spread to nearby tissues or other parts of the body.
Although many cancers are seen in India, the most prevalent ones are-
3. Oral cavity
Knowing the Risks
Now, we know about the cancers that are common in India, but, is that enough to take necessary precautions against cancer? “NO”, so let us have a look at the risk factors.
1. High body mass index (weight)
2. Low fruit and vegetable intake
3. Lack of physical activity
4. Tobacco use (smoking)
5. Alcohol intake
7. Unhealthy diet
8. Family history
9. Certain viruses
Look for these indicators!
No doubt, knowing the risk factors is important for taking preventive measures but, it is equally essential to detect it at the right time. The body has certain ways to show it, let us understand them.
1. Unexplained Weight loss
2. Loss of appetite
3. Repetitive infection-causing Cough
4. Lumps anywhere in the body
5. Unusual bleeding from any opening in the body
6. Delayed wound healing
7. Change in bowel habits
8. Difficulty in swallowing and indigestion
Stats and facts!
1. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the world
2. Estimated 9.6 million deaths in 2018
3. Globally, about 1 in 6 deaths
4. 70% of cancer deaths occur in countries with low income
5. One-third of deaths from cancer are due to the 5 leading risks
6. Tobacco use is the most common cause of cancer (22% of cancer deaths)
7. Infections like hepatitis and human papillomavirus (HPV) causes 25% of cancer cases in low and middle-income countries
8. Only 1 in 5 low and middle-income countries have required data to drive cancer policy
Have no fear!
Most of us are unaware of the fact that 90-95 % of Cancers are Preventable! Few dont’s we should “know” to say “no” to cancer.
Do Not – Use tobacco or Arecanut in any form
– Smoke or sit near a person who is smoking
– Consume alcohol
– Consume spicy, fried, preserved, processed, and junk food, salt-preserved food like pickles
– Be over stressed
– Have a sedentary lifestyle
– Expose yourself to too much sunlight.
“To be a survivor or a victim, the choice is yours”