CAP is the International Quality Crown… Those who seek Quality, have no boundaries!
What is CAP?
CAP or College of American Pathologists is a laboratory accreditation program that certifies an entire list of laboratory tests based on a scope and checklist developed after rigorous scientific assessment. Covering a large array of medical tests and procedures, any setting from a diagnostic laboratory to a medical professional’s clinic can apply for their certification program.
“International is Elite” is always the common man’s notion; nothing wrong if it attributes some standards. Quality has always been a coveted aspect and for brands, an international certification definitely adds to the matter of pride. Following international standards in quality of service or product is never a one-time appreciation, but a promise placed to continue working on the existing Quality Management Systems (QMS) to provide the best and in healthcare, this “best” can greatly impact patient/client outcome.
For a diagnostic laboratory confident in its quality standards, accreditations or certifications acknowledging the same becomes the most transparent mode to garner trust. One such international quality certification board is the CAP.
- CAP15189 established in 2008 is the quality management program that provides accreditation to ISO 15189, an international quality standard for medical laboratories.
- The multidisciplinary team consists of highly experienced professionals with practical knowledge of medical lab as well as ISO quality system audits.
- The lab inspection is scheduled every two years and the interim period needs the participating lab to report on the results of proficiency testing provided by CAP.
- Apart from quality management, it also scrutinizes chemical hygiene plans, document control processes, test validations, competency outcomes, etc.
- Highlights eligibility of the lab in terms of professionals on board like a qualified lab director, and its participation in proficiency testing as well as external quality assurance programs
- Increases value of the organization/laboratory
- Promises accuracy in testing and ensures accurate diagnosis
- Improves customer satisfaction
For a country with a population of billions and diagnostic laboratories being a very lucrative business option in healthcare, it is necessary for us, a common man to do our due diligence.
“Diagnosis does not start once the blood is in the tube… But when you chose who should prick you”