Small things make the big things happen. We have heard it… But do we know the small micronutrients our body requires?.. Find out.
Micronutrients – Keeper of your Health!
Micronutrients, as the name suggests, are substances required in minute quantities for proper growth and development. Imbalanced intake of micronutrients leads to deficiency or toxicity conditions thereby causing serious health problems.
Vitamins include both fat-soluble types like vitamin A, D, E, and K and water-soluble types like vitamin B-complex and vitamin C. While, minerals include zinc, copper, iron, iodine, manganese, and selenium.
Role and Sources-
1. Vitamin A- Promotes good vision and a healthy immune system.
Sources- Oranges, carrots, meat, and fish.
2. Vitamin B complex- Essential for normal neurological and physiological functioning of the body.
Sources- Fish, cheese, mushrooms, and lentils.
3. Vitamin C- Assists in wound healing and serves as an antioxidant that fights free radicals.
Sources- Cabbage, tomato, green pepper, and citrus fruits (grapes, oranges).
4. Vitamin D– Important for bone and teeth health.
Sources- Salmon, Cod liver oil, tuna, cheddar cheese, and mackerel.
5. Vitamin E- Repairs damaged skin and fight free radicals. It possesses anti-aging properties.
Sources- Sunflower oil and seed and peanut.
6. Vitamin K- Regulates in normal blood coagulation. Also helps in bone health.
Sources- cauliflower, cabbage, and fish.
7. Zinc- Boosts immune system, regulates blood sugar, and assists in wound healing, and breakdown of carbohydrates.
Sources- Nuts, cereals, and shellfish.
8. Iron- Improves hemoglobin formation and treats anemia.
Sources- Egg yolk, lentils, red meat, and dried fruit.
9. Iodine- Controls the functioning of the thyroid gland. It also removes toxins from the body.
Sources- Iodized salt, soybean, spinach, and fish.
10. Selenium- Prevents coronary heart disease and is a powerful antioxidant that fights free radicals.
Sources- Eggs, green vegetables, sunflower seeds, fish, mushrooms.
11. Copper- Cures arthritis and helps in absorption and metabolism of iron.
Sources- Almonds, raisins, nuts, and dark chocolate.
12. Manganese- Supports bone health, prevents arthritis and osteoporosis.
Sources- Beans and sweet potatoes.
Micronutrients have macro effect on your Health!