Do you know, a check on blood sugar levels in diabetes is important. This purpose is well served by the Fructosamine test. So go for it, if you haven’t yet…
Why you should go for Fructosamine Test?
Fructosamine is a compound formed by the combination of sugar molecules (eg. Glucose, fructose) permanently with proteins (mainly albumin) in the blood by a process called glycation. A fructosamine is a form of glycated protein with a shorter life span that can be assessed for evaluation of average blood glucose levels for the previous 2-3 weeks. This separates fructosamine from HbA1c testing where glycated hemoglobin indicates average blood sugar levels for over the past 3 months.
Why should one test for it?
- Short term monitoring- Helps in monitoring blood sugar levels over a period of 2-3 weeks for diabetics. It is useful for recording the pattern of changing blood glucose levels rather than one high value at the end of 3 months obtained by HbA1c.
- Diabetes management- Fructosamine test is used to assess the r apid changes during diabetes treatment. Increasing variations in fructosamine levels indicates poor control over blood sugar levels.
- Use in Medication/treatment- Fructosamine levels give an idea on how medicines used for diabetes management are impacting blood glucose levels. This helps in changing treatment protocols as well accordingly.
- Monitor impact of diet- Changes in diet fluctuate the glucose levels drastically. Thus, fructosamine testing gives an idea whether the diet adapted for diabetes control is effective or not.
- Diabetes during/after pregnancy- Effective in monitoring blood glucose fluctuations and insulin needs during pregnancy (Gestational diabetes), where frequent blood sugar values are recorded. So as to prevent the mother and child from the effect of increased glucose levels (e.g. delayed brain development).
Reference range- Normal values for fructosamine are 200-285 μmol/L.
Abnormal levels- What do they indicate?
High values of fructosamine indicate that the blood sugar levels of the diabetic person have elevated over a period of the last 2-3 weeks. Monitoring a pattern of fructosamine values, over a period of time gives a better understanding of diabetes management rather than just a single high value.
Values of fructosamine might differ according to the concentration of albumin in serum and total blood proteins. This test proves, to be an effective tool in monitoring diabetes control.
Fructosamine testing with the help of state-of-the-art technology is a method of choice that is affordable and at the same time provides quality results for control and management of Diabetes.