More than 50 million Indians suffer from Type 2 Diabetes! Yet we lack massive awareness on this sugar disease, asserting the reason of us being the diabetic capital of the world. Diabetes, a metabolism disorder happens due to excessive blood sugar levels in one’s body. A much talked about medical condition, yet majority of Indian adults are unaware on how to identify, treat or manage this sugar malady.
It’s not the ‘sugar’ which directly causes diabetes but a combination of genetic and lifestyle factors. Obesity is another major fueling factor which opens the floodgates towards this ailment. Type 2 Diabetes results when body’s cells develop a resistance to the insulin produced by pancreatic beta cells. They fail to respond to glucose present in the blood which results in high blood glucose levels.
Type 2 Diabetes- Symptoms
- Excessive fatigue
- Blurred vision
- Frequent urination
- Poor/prolonged healing of wounds/cuts
- Intense hunger
- Increased thirst
- Weight gain or unusual weight loss
Manage this not so sweet malady!
Diabetes can’t be cured, but if left unattended can cause further complications. A pre-diabetic/diabetic must make a note of the following to manage this sugar disease:
- HbA1c level of 6.5 or above and fasting blood glucose tests of 126 mg/dL or above confirms diabetes.
- If pre-diabetic, do not ignore the initial symptoms and assess your blood glucose levels timely.
- Perform HbA1c test every 6 months to monitor diabetes.
- Eat healthy – Include foods with low fat and calories, rich in high-fiber.
- Lead an active lifestyle by performing regular muscle strengthening exercises like aerobics, yoga, activities like walking, jogging, swimming, etc.
- Undergo screening of eyes at least once a year or more frequently.
- Undergo regular exams of skin, bones of feet and legs to prevent diabetic nerve disease.
- As per the doctor’s advice, undergo regular tests to check the levels of blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Do not miss or delay daily meals and medications for diabetes.
- If you’re overweight, a heart patient or are leading a sedentary lifestyle, timely diabetic screening is recommended.
Lack of awareness on management of diabetes massively fuels complications, affecting various organs. Abstaining from a sweet drink/food doesn’t control this silent killer. Do not let your stressful and busy lifestyles put your health at backseat. Know more..to do more.
Tame this sugar malady!